Gospel’s most iconic and groundbreaking artists come together on Rendezvous Music’s new collection, Evolution of Gospel, set for release online and in stores September 4. Distributed by Provident, the CD celebrates 15 brightest, biggest, and most enduring Gospel songs and singers.
Since its birth out of the African American spiritual experience, Gospel music has always been deeply rooted in the faith. Throughout the years the music has stirred hearts, recharged souls and maintained an integral presence in church congregations and in the artists who deliver the lyric and music with obedience and spirit.
Evolution of Gospel features the defined Gospel sound that inspired fans over the decades. The genre’s sound evolved, but still maintained its distinctive contribution to music.
The Evolution of Gospel anthology captures the essence of Gospel’s greatest melodies from Al Green, Albertina Walker, Andraé Crouch, Aretha Franklin, Bob Dylan, Kirk Whalum featuring Jonathan Butler, Mahalia Jackson, Rev. James Cleveland, Sam Cooke & the Soul Stirrers, The Original Five Blind Boys of Mississippi, Thomas A. Dorsey with Marion Williams and Walter Hawkins. These artists paved the way for many others who followed in their footsteps and continue the ‘evolution of Gospel’ today and in future generations.
Track listing :
- Al Green – Hallelujah (I Just Want To Praise The Lord)
- The Original Five Blind Boys of Mississippi – Glad God Saved Me
- Albertina Walker – Please Be Patient With Me
- Sam Cooke & the Soul Stirrers – He’s My Friend Until The End
- Aretha Franklin – Mary, Don’t You Weep
- Mahalia Jackson – How I Got Over
- Thomas A. Dorsey with Marion Williams – Take My Hand Precious Lord
- Rev. James Cleveland – Peace Be Still
- Walter Hawkins – Follow Me
- Bob Dylan – Gotta Serve Somebody
- Kirk Whalum featuring Jonathan Butler – Falling in Love With Jesus
- Andraé Crouch – My Tribute